Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day

    Today is the first Father's Day since I lost my husband.  I had several people asking me this past week what I was going to do today.  I wanted to hide my head under my pillow and never get out of bed.  Unfortunately, with small children that is not an option.  I decided to face my fears and go to church.  If it wasn't this Father's Day, then I would have to face it next year.  I did really good, until my children were dismissed to Children's Church.  Our Pastor began to talk about Fathers and went into several stories.  I felt it getting harder and harder to swallow.  I could also feel my eyes getting blurry.  I thought to myself, no, I am not going to cry today.  I prayed that God would help me get through this service or I was going to have to leave.  All of the sudden, I felt like there were many people sitting next to me.  The pew was empty next to me in this world, but I know that Angels were sitting there beside me.  I could feel the Holy Spirit surrounding me, and I made it through the service without one tear.  I felt overjoyed!!
     The day isn't over yet, but I have a renewed strength.  I did talk with my children on the ride to church this morning.  I wanted them to remember that even though they didn't have a physical earthly Father anymore, they had a heavenly Father who will fill our void.  Psalms 68:5 says, "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."  Please rely on God during the difficult holidays.  I know He is and will continue to help me with the rest of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment