Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Bulldozer

     Even with the grief, my life still has humor.  If you are anything like me, Phil did the majority of the outside chores around our house.  I did my share of the mowing, but he did just about everything else.  He was also handy at operating just about any piece of machinery.  I am not sure why men love bulldozers, but my husband and father had gone in together to purchase one for them both to use last year.  We have 63 acres and my parents have over 100 acres, so we definitely had some plans for it.   A few weeks ago,  I had some driveway material delivered and needed it spread around.  When I need something outside done, I usually call on my brother-in-law.  He said he could come later in the week to spread it for me.
     Being the impatient person that I am, and seeing that the bulldozer is at my house, I decided to go out and see if I could figure out how to operate it.  I put my 5 year old down for a nap, and gave instructions to my daughter to stay inside, and I went out with my ear plugs in hand.  I decided to say a quick prayer, and also requested some of Phil's skills at equipment operating.  I sat up there and looked at all of the symbols.  Pretty self explanatory, so I started it up.  There is a safety belt on equipment, and I decided not to strap myself in just in case I needed to bale.  I backed it up and started spreading.  I didn't want to go very fast.  To my surprise, it worked out.  I looked over in my back yard to see my daughter in disbelief and recording me with my phone.  Before I finished, she had sent the video to my brother-in-law and numerous other people.  He ended up calling me after I got back into the house, to ask what i was up to.  He did end up coming over and finishing up, but now I know how to operate a bulldozer.  Phil would be proud!  I have some other projects I am working on getting around to doing, but I am afraid my dad is going to move it to his house to keep me from doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment