Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Butterfly

     I wanted to explain the significance the butterfly has had on my life since my husband's death.  Just a few hours before we lost Phil, my daughter had come to see me carrying a beautiful butterfly bird feeder.  She had purchased it to cheer me up.  I loved it!  Once we were able to finally get settled into our house, several weeks later, I hung it up in the living room.  It was much too pretty to let the birds have it.  I somehow felt like it had a significant meaning, so I looked it up.  The Christian meaning is that a butterfly symbolizes resurrection.  It disappears into a cocoon and appears dead, but emerges later more powerful and beautiful than before.  I thought about Phil and how weak and horrible he looked before he died.  Just moments before he took his last breath, he smiled and looked so peaceful.  I knew at that moment, he was with his Heavenly Father.  1 Corinthians 15: 42-44 says, "So will it be with the resurrection of the dead.  The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
     I cannot tell you how many butterflies I have seen this spring.  Every time I am outside mowing or just feeling sorry for myself, I see one fluttering around.  I think about Phil and smile at how happy he must be.  One day, while I was desperately trying to put on my wedding ring without crying, I thought about the butterfly and had an idea.  Since rings were Phil's special gifts to me over the years, I was just going to have to put my rings up and go buy a new one.  Guess what,  I found a butterfly ring.  I bought the ring for me and some matching earrings for my daughter.  I wear this ring all the time in place of my wedding ring.  Now when I look at my hand, it doesn't sadden me.  I feel encouraged to keep striving to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment